What we today call “gun club check” has it’s origin (like virtually all other estate tweed patterns) in Scotland. The original pattern was originally used by workers or gamekeepers in the Northwest Highlands and was known as “the Coigach” from the estate where it originated.
However, history came to change it’s name - in 1874 the American Gun Clubs adopted the pattern for their own purposes, and since then the name “gun club” has been associated with the pattern. The original Coigach estate tweed featured black and red bands alternating evenly on a white field. However, nowadays the term “gun club” encompass any pattern that includes alternating broken bands in two or more colours on a lighter ground. Modern “gun club checks” therefore can include just about any kind of color scheme.